How do I run PS3 games FROM the external hard drive?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Bake, Jun 24, 2014.

1. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    i dont have isos, i did get same format as was in 2014.
    thank you anyways,i will rename the folders. i dont have a ps3 a friend of mine who leaves overseas ask me to get them for him in a external hdd.

2. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese 100%!
    No, you can convert ps3 folders into iso. You need PS3 ISO TOOLS V2.1 click "Create ISO" and point to where your PS3 Folder and it will create ISO.

3. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    the hdd is fat 32 formatted,so i need to split into 4gb parts or not?

4. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    I am afraid so. And thats why I disliked it. An iso doesnt have a problem with 4gb because you are using external hard drive and not a folder. :)

5. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    am gonna use a external hdd fat32 formatted,i dont need to split the iso?
    will be iso same size or smaller than the folders game?

6. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Not much difference. If you want to use folders then you will need fat32 formatted which sucks because of 4gb splits are requirement.

Keep in mind that if you want to run ISOs bigger than 4gb on an external HDD, it needs to be in NTFS file system. I like NTFS better than fat32.

No, you dont need to split the iso. That's why ISO is the best one to use.

You can split the isos and they will work fine one FAT32 if you want but only for FAT32 if it came with 4GB in it. NTFS, you dont need to do that.

You split the iso into <4gb parts, name them game.iso.0, game.iso.1, game.iso.2 etc...... and put them in folder PS3ISO on the route of your USB drive. MMCM or webman will detect them just like normal, just mount like any other game.
    This also works for dvd and bluray isos.
    This requires you to be on a Cobra CFW. You need to enable Cobra in CFW. Are you using Rebug the latest one ?

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Aug 6, 2018
  7. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    Thank you very much baby!!

azoreseuropa likes this.
  8. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    You are absolutely welcome, babe!! :D :P

9. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi Azore sorry to be a pain/necro/hijacker but I've got a quick question. I have just got an old 80gb PS3, installed 4.82 rebug and have installed a few .pkg from PlayStation on an ntfs usb; all that's gone fine.

But I'm having to use Irisman to mount the .pkg, as the PS3 isn't recognising the drive in ntfs and I can't transfer the .pkg to a fat32 due to size. I'd like to also use the usb for iso now I've filled the internal HD but how do I get rebug to recognise the ntfs usb without mounting in Irisman?

Is that even possible, I've heard that rebug can recognise ntfs but I have no idea how to sort that, if I even can.

10. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi. Did you enable Cobra ? And try webMAN Mod. I always keep cobra enable and run webMAN Mod. webMAN Mod is my favourite.

11. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I enabled Cobra, but I don't know anything about webMAN, I'll Google it and try that out. Cheers pal

12. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Let me know. Type webMAN MOD in google and you should find it. Click it: webMAN MOD 1.47.09 and it is the latest version.

13. Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Hi! Good to know you are portuguese like me! I only got started in this PS3 CFW scene in August because I only found out this month that I could install CFW in a easier way in my PS3 model using a method that was apparently discovered in November 2017 and I had some problems because all my "legit" PS3 game saves somehow disappeared after installing 4.82.2 Rebug Ferrox (I now have DEX) and I had to learn how to download and resign them one by one (and I also had trouble with this) since I didn't want to start them all over again and in almost all cases I was well succeeded (I had more than 30 games). I didn't play PS3 regularly since 4 years ago and I also discovered my DualShock 3 was not working at all (even before installing the CFW, altough it worked for a moment after pressing a small button in the back with a pencil that I didn't even know it existed) and the start button of my Thrustmaster (my second and last controller at the time) doesn't work very well (I have to press it hard) so I bought two other controllers (one of them by mistake) that looked like DualShock 3 since I wanted to have a controller with its design and I was accustomed to using it and one of them is making the character walk in its way and the other is much better but it seems to not be completely ok. Is it possible Rebug messed them or did I have a lot of bad luck (this includes the Thrustmaster start button problem which I don't remember if I had it years ago when I had OFW)? It looks like they are not the original DualShock 3 controllers (although they look like it) unlike my former controller but different ones which are cheaper (the original is sold off for years and it's still expensive after all these years, I don't know why).

I now know how to run downloaded PS3 games from the internal HDD (I had to learn how to FTP them from FileZilla) but not from an external one. I found this post because I was afraid of might having the issue in the future the previous user reported, i. e., some (probably all) external HDD games might require to install some data in the internal HDD in order to run the games (why don't they install this data, not to mentioned that extra data that supposedly speeds up the loading time, in the external HDD?) and while I won't have this problem for now I only have 85 GB left in the internal HDD, I don't know how to change it (even though there are lots of tutorials showing it on Youtube) and what's the maximum capacity PS3/Rebug (multiMAN?) recognizes (also in the external HDD case)? I'm talking about external HDDs when I don't even use one since even after I change (if I can) the internal one in the future it will be filled up (if it's "only" 1 TB the maximum capacity it can recognize) and I'll need many external HDDs to fulfill my wish of having all the wanted games (not only for PS3 but for PS, PS2, GB, GBC, GBA and MegaDrive) and tools to run them (in this case it might be better to install them in the internal HDD and before I fill it), among other things.

Also, I tried running games after installing webMAN MOD (the full version, but I also tried running the lighter one and also had the problem I'll explain after this) but the PS3 always crashed even when running "legit" games (bought ones which are in Blu-ray) or tools (like multiMAN) so I gave up on it and sticked with multiMAN (and the PS3 was making a lot of noise even after turning off the fan control feature and even after uninstalling webMAN MOD or sMAN like it still does now if I play certain games like God of War 3 or The Last of Us. If I downloaded them and ran them from the internal or external HDD would they make this noise or it doesn't have to do with it, i. e., are Blu-ray games more "demanding" than digital ones? I've yet to try playing the remaining more than 30 games for real, i. e., from start to finish, to know if I have this problem in all my Blu-ray games or even PSN ones even though I didn't do this with the previous two mentioned games since I had this problem right at the start unlike with these games, if I remember correctly, since I only tried loading the downloaded game save after resigning it for each game, unlike with the two games I downloaded that I played from start to finish.) since I don't have this problem with it (I also tried sMAN but I also had this webMAN MOD problem). I don't know how to open the PS3 to clean the dust and change the thermal paste (I don't even know which one should I buy) and if webMAN MOD (or sMAN) is better than multiMAN but I'd like to play games for other consoles using emulators in the future, as well. It looks like there's a new OFW released (I had the previous OFW version installed before installing CFW) last October which Rebug doesn't support for now and will I have any problems if I change the internal HDD? I don't know if there are games and apps that only work if run from an external HDD or from an internal one. I only tried running two games and apart from the controller problem and some noise (not as much as when that webMAN fan options was turned on and if I play God of War 3 or The Last of Us) I had some bugs in one of them but I can still play it. I don't know if I should install the package files before or after running a game for the first time and if so, before or after it installs its data (and I suppose I have to install the package file first and the package fix files after, if they exist).

Excuse me for the off-topic and english, but to continue (start) this (possible) conversation in private, how can I PM you?

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Jan 2, 2019
  14. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    You still need WebMAN MOD (the latest version), MultiMan (the latest version) and you also need a PrepNTFS on your PS3 (Google it, of course) and installed it to your PS3 and run it will scan your NTSF external hard drive. Always use the right USB port of your PS3. After it is done.. It will reboot your PS3 and try again. :)

Windows_10_User likes this.
  15. Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Well, but like I said webMAN MOD crashes my PS3 and why do I need it and PrepNTFS?

16. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Without running ISO is impossible. You need webMAN MOD the latest version and PrepNTFS is also needed to scan it so webMAN MOD can read your NTFS.. Without it, there is no way. I have those and worked perfectly fine.

By the way, did you enable in Rebug -- Cobra ? You need that to enable ISO first.

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Jan 2, 2019
  17. Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    But why do I need ISOs and a NTFS file system in the first place? I downloaded two games and they weren't in that format and I don't know what's the PS3 internal HDD file system. Do I need to have games for other consoles in that format (ISO) to be able to play them? I never dead in a tutorial that I need to use PrepNTFS to be able to run webMan.

Yes, I did. Other users report this problem with webMAN. It freezes the console and I have no choice but to shut it off by force.

18. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 2, 2015

Been running isos off external with no prep ntfs

PS3ISO folder in root of USB - Put isos in here
    Install webman mod and make sure webmanmod is enabled in your cfw settings if it isnt
    Go into webman settings and refresh xml

Games will show after this - If you ad a game(s) rescan xml etc

19. Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    But what I want at the moment is running games from internal (it is even recommended this way and not external with some games) and I could run games when I had webMAN MOD installed but it froze the PS3 and made a lot of noise and I couldn't stand it (even after disabling that fan option that came activated by default). Also, it takes a lot of times transfering the PS3 games' folders to the PS3 internal HDD through FileZilla.

20. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Right but I prefer prepntfs then.